11. – 15.12.2023 – Level 1 Fundamental Skills Instructor Course (English language) – Ben Shemen / ISRAEL
8 in stock
An online self-study course, followed by a 5-day in-person course that certifies an individual as a Fundamental Skills Instructor.
There are many aspects to teaching mountain biking: planning and preparation, risk management, clear communication with students, managing a group of riders, and being fully confident in your own understanding and demonstration of the Fundamental Elements. With the solid foundation covered in the Ride Leader course, you are ready to focus on developing your skills instruction. The skills portion of this course takes you through 19 different skills.
This course introduces stability and biomechanics, teaching strategy, site selection, goal setting, proper demonstrations, keywords, progressions, and error detection for all the level 1 Fundamental Skills.
The Level 1 course offers comprehensive hands-on training on the fundamentals of mountain biking. All participants will create a foundation for teaching mountain bike skills clinics including personal riding skills, proper form, systematic methods, and terminology. Each student will be tested on their ability to demonstrate, teach, and provide feedback through error detection and corrections. In order to pass the BICP Level 1 course, participants must demonstrate an understanding of the material, perform a suitable teaching simulation, and pass a written test.
A self-study course and 5-day in-person course that certifies an individual to lead Group Rides and teach foundational riding skills as a Fundamental Skills Instructor.
€980 in total
This price includes:
- Online Ride Leader Certification
- Comprehensive online pre-course study material and post-course resources
- Examination fee written test
- Examination fee practical teaching exam
- Examination fee practical demo exam
- One-time BICP USA licence fee
- Participation Fee: 5-day in-person Course
Annual dues to the BICP Europe of €20 per year to maintain the certification (starting subsequent year following the certification).
Current BICP Ride Leaders or previously BICP-Certified Instructors should contact the administration for subsidized pricing prior to registering.
Completion of the course, in addition to passing a practical exam, will qualify an individual to:
- Instruct individual or group mountain bike skills clinics in a professional, systematic, and safe manner
- Assess the level of each rider in their group through a Pre-Ride Assessment
- Assess and diagnose common errors within each rider’s fundamental skills
- Prepare and implement teaching plans, progressions, and goal planning for future skills clinics
- Make responsible choices when instructing mountain bike skills clinics
- Assist BICP instructors at clinics, camps, and events
Level 1 Prerequisites:
- BICP Ride Leader Certification
- Current First Aid & CPR certificate
- Wilderness First Aid certification is strongly recommended
- Three or more years of mountain bike experience
- Volunteer work or work experience in the bike-related industry
- At least 18 yrs. old
- Good communication skills
- A strong desire to help others have more fun and progress safely
- Ability to perform basic trailside repairs (flat tires, broken chains, and shift adjustments)
- Fluent in the English language including reading and speaking
Level 1 Course Skills:
- Neutral Position/Ready Position
- Bike/Body Separation
- Riding Straight Lines
- Small Circles
- Rock Dodge
- Seated Climb
- Standing Climb
- Crouched Climb
- Restarting on a Climb
- Climbing Dismount
- Braking on Descents
- Descending Dismount
- Roll Down